Saturday, February 28, 2009

Popover fun!!

Now at this point anyone reading this is probably wondering is this a baking blog?? Well I do cook alot but I have been on a baking kick the last couple of months. I have been having so much fun and success with it that I thought my baking was some of the fun stuff to show at the moment. There is no exception to that in how much fun I had making these popovers. They are really easy too!



INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon of shortening or butter
2 beaten eggs
1 cup of milk
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt

DIRECTIONS:
1) Use 6 custard cups or a popover pan grease the bottom and sides of each cup with the shortening or butter and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees at this time.

2) In a medium mising bowl use a wire whisk or rotary beater to beat eggs, milk and oil until combined. Add the flour and salt and beat until smooth.

3) Fill the prepared cups half full with the batter and bake in 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or until very firm.

4) Immediately after removing the popovers from the oven, use a fork to prick each popover to let steam escape. Remove the popovers from the cups and serve.



There are many options for serving popovers, you can serve them with beef, lamb or pork. You can also cut them open and stuff them with your favorite dip or salad. What I did with these though was turn them into a dessert. I added just a tad bit of cinnamon to the batter and then when they were done I cut them open filled them with real vanilla ice cream and then poured whole raspberry syrup over them and sprinkled them with powder sugar. Absolutely delicious!!

No comments: