Sunday, July 26, 2009
* 1 3/4 cups stone ground cornmeal
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/2 cups whole milk
* 1 large egg
* 4 tablespoons melted butter
* 1 to 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for the pan or skillet
Heat oven to 425°. Put a sturdy 8- or 9-inch iron skillet,square baking pan or small loaf pan in the oven.
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
In a large glass measuring cup or a bowl, whisk the 1 1/2 cups of milk with the egg and melted butter. Stir into the dry mixture until blended.
Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and swirl a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil around in it until the bottom is coated. Spread the batter in the pan and bake the cornbread for 22 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.